Upgrade Solaris 8 to Solaris 10

Hi Solarizer,

My company plan to migrate from solaris 8 to solaris 10, Any body have any kind of tutorial about this ?

Regards,

tpx

When I start my browser, I get this home page. If I were in your boots, I'd make this web site my home page too.

http : // docs . sun . com / app / docs / prod / solaris.10

Browse Product Documentation - Sun Microsystems

Good luck

You'll need to:

1. Learn about the SMF system that replaces the rc scripts to start things on boot-up. 2, Ensure that /etc/resolv.conf only has 3 nameserver lines in it if you want to use a search line after them (I know the DNS client always only used the first 3 DNS servers).
  2. The ldapsearch command now supports SSL (hooray!).
  3. Link /etc/ipnodes to /etc/hosts unless you have an up to date enough Solaris 10 such that it is already done for you.
  4. Watch out for NFS 4 servers and clients which need more configuring than NFS V3 did.
  5. The ssh, etc. commands are provided now but are in /usr/bin, not /usr/local/bin (where the SFW package put them) and the ssh_config and sshd_config file have moved to /etc/ssh from /usr/local/etc.
  6. Some openwindows commands have gone, others have moved to /usr/dt/bin.
  7. Using secure LDAP for user authentication, etc. prevents Firefox using the user's own certificate database.
  8. Output format from nslookup has changed (for reverse lookup I think).
  9. A prtdiag wrapper is now in the path (hooray!).
  10. Various shared memory and semaphore entries that went into /etc/system are now obsolete (no longer needed!).

Those are the main things that have changed and/or had to be addresses that I have come across so far.

Did you mean to ask about a tutorial for the migration procedure or a tutorial for Solaris 10?

You can't migrate directly from 8 to 10. Its very different. Have to migrate to 9 first , then to 10.

That, my friend, is absolutely NOT true. I have updated 10 servers in the last month or so using a home-grown procedure (scripted/developed by a colleague), and not one server has had any problem.

Live upgrade, but you have to make sure that you have the latest and greatest patches for Solaris 8. I would open a case either way with Sun, but here is some nice links abou it.

Live Upgrade minimum patch requirements:

#206844: Solaris[TM] Live Upgrade Software: Minimum Patch Requirements

Live Upgrade How-To:

Solaris Operating System - Solaris Live Upgrade How-To Guide

Browse Product Documentation - Sun Microsystems