Unzipping a file in Solaris - Issue with xls file

Hi,

I have an excel file generated by system in windows. I am zipping it, transfering to unix and unzipping there. But i'm getting below output while unzipping.

$ /usr/bin/unzip -a 123.zip -d .
Archive: 123.zip
inflating: ./123/Index.xls [text]

When i copy this unzipped xls file to windows and open it, i couldn't see the properties of the file. Properties getting added to start of the file and i could see them alongwith some junk characters, when i open the file. And also complete first line is getting appended in a single cell.

��ࡱ�>�� ������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� ��a������\p<author> B�a�=���=x<L;$8X@"��1���Arial1���Arial1���Arial1���Arial1����Arial1 ��Arial"$"#,##0_);\("$"#,##0\)!"$"#,##0_);[Red]\("$"#,##0\)"a"$"#,##0.00_);\("$"#,##0.00\)'""$"#,##0.00_);[Red]\("$"#,##0.00\)7*2_("$"* #,##0_);_("$"* \(#,##0\);_("$"* "-"_);_(@_).))_(* #,##0_);_(* \(#,##0\);_(* "-"_);_(@_)?,:_("$"* #,##0.00_);_("$"* \(#,##0.00\);_("$"* "-"??_);_(@_)6+1_(* #,##0.00_);_(* \(#,##0.00\);_(* "-"??_);_(@_)��� � ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� ��� �� � � �+�� �� �)�� �� �,�� �� �*�� �� � �� �� � � � � �����������a�������`...ASheet1...�!Sheet2...�"Sheet3���"�� � �field1field2efield3field4

I followed the below procedure.

1. Transfer the same zip file (without unzipping in unix) from Unix to Windows
  2. Unzip it in Windows (I could see .xls file without any junk chars)
  3. Manually create an xls file by copy-pasting the contents of the unzipped xls file
  4. Zip it in Windows
  5. Transfer the zip file to Unix
  6. Unzip the file in Unix

Now the unzip output is different and copy back to windows and see, there are no junk charcters and file properties are shown properly.

$ /usr/bin/unzip -a 123.zip -d .
Archive: 123.zip
inflating: ./123/Index.xls [binary]

Please advise what could be the issue, is it an issue while auto-generation of xls file by the system or it is while unzipping?

Thanks,
Ajay

---------- Post updated 08-26-10 at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous update was 08-25-10 at 10:34 AM ----------

Hi team,

I got the solution. It is working fine if i do not use -a flag while unzipping.

-a is for treating it as excel file.

Thanks,
Ajay