Unknown fstype?

Dear all I have formatted/labeled/partitioned my new disk but when trying to mount it is returning 'unknown fstype' .Can you please let me know how to solve this problem? Thank you

use "newfs" to create a filesystem on your drive.

or better, "zpool create". (Solaris 10 and newer)

I have seen similar when I formatted a slice six and accidently newfs'ed on slice 2.

Slice 6 kept saying it saw a fs of unknown type until figured out what had happened...slice 2 mounted fine. :slight_smile:

I tried as 'newfs -m 1 \dev\rdsk\c0t1d0s0' but still the same error message.

i hope you used / and not \ in your devicepath... try.

newfs /dev/dsk/c0t1d0sX

for a better overview you might want to post the output of "prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2". or you just go for a zpool which is much easier to use...

Hello, no one would newfs or mount slice 2. I suggest you prtvtoc your disk again, label it, then newfs slice 0, 3,4 or 6 eg and try mounting it

I tried for 'newfs /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s-i where i=0,1,....,7 but still the same error message. Please be informed that the out'ut of 'prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2 is the same as for /c0t0d0s2 but just the former does not have installed partitions.

please post the entire mount command your using.

oh. and use /dev/rdsk/... when using newfs(not /dev/dsk)

I labeled it again and newfs its slice 0,3,6 but cannot mount it from 'is not this fstype' error message.

Please post/attach

1. output of prtvtoc
  2. /etc/vfstab
  3. mount command

I used newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s-i and then 'mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /mnt' but it returns 'is not this fstype' .

Please provide everything that I requested in my last post.

---------- Post updated at 00:05 ---------- Previous update was at 00:00 ----------

Try running this and post the entire output.

/usr/sbin/fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0
newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0
/usr/sbin/fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0
mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /mnt

I first tried as'/usr/sbin/fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0' but it returned 'unknown fstype no matches'. Then i issued 'newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0' and the command was successful. Then i teied for 'fstyp /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0' and it rwturned 'unknown fstyoe no match'. Then i trued as 'mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /mnt' but it returned 'is not this fstype'.

please post your screenoutputs...

and please show what returns:

prtvtoc -s /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2

Sorry. I am using my handset gprs to post my messages so there is no way to send captured screens from my client at now.

without the outputs you can't expect help... send them later, if you're able to.

ok. I will send them later.

---------- Post updated at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:39 AM ----------

Please find attached the captured screens.

I don't see any attachments.