UNIX.COM -- X/Open WIPO UDRP Complaint

FYI:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/cases/2002/d0200-0399.html

... all domains under siege by X/Open ...

Seems like it should be a pretty open and shut case. I quote from the Uniform Doman Name Dispute Resolution Policy, Section 4c entitled "How to Demonstrate Your Rights to and Legitimate Interests in the Domain Name in Responding to a Complaint":

(emphasis added)

I think it should be pretty clear that this site is non-commercial in nature, and does not attempt to mislead consumers into believeing it is any type of "official" Unix site. Do they have a leg to stand on?

Yes, according to the law they do not have 'a legal leg to stand on'. If the WIPO process is fair and objective, you are right PxT, this site is protected under the law. However, that does not stop X/Open from making life difficult.

FYI - Legal Representation by: http://www.cph.com/

Anyone with helpful information, advise, or research please email to: unix-wipo-complaint@silkroad.com

Email to the above address will be forwarded to the appropriate attorney.

According to an article on Slashdot today, unix.org has been ruled a cybersquatter and given to the X/Open group. WIPO decision is here

I saw that today on Slashdot and sorry to see that unix.com got hijacked for obvious BS reasons. :frowning:

From what I read on Slashdot it was only unix.com that has to be handed over. Is this true or is it indeed unix.net, unix.org and unix.com that has to be handed over?

I saw that too...

It was unix.org that's gone now, though. unix.net and unix.com are still operating.
The unix.com case is still pending, though:
http://arbiter.wipo.int/cgi-bin/domains/search/CaseCatReport?lang=eng&case_id=3737

Lets just hope for the best...

Wipo decision.

We may be next. But let us die as we have lived. This site is the best source of Unix technical information on the Internet. Let's keep it that way. Until the very end, if it comes. Please refrain from posting flames on this site. Even flames directed against those who want to shut us down.

If we must go out, let's go out with class.

And let's continue to hope for the best. We aren't shut down yet!

If unix.com does go, will the forum change to a new domain name or will it just cease to be? It would be a shame to lose the knowledge sharing that goes on here.

Here is a good list of new names. There are plenty of sites like unixguide.com and unixreview.com.

I know this is a matter of principle to keep the orignal name, but please consider these alternatives. It might go against your principles, but you may need to change the name early so you can keep the traffic and inform users of the change before you possibly go offline.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! However, reality may be a b**ch in a short while

Here are my top ten new names for the website.

www.unixforum.com/net/org

www.unixtopics.com/net/org

www.unixtalk.com/net/org

www.unix-for-all.com/net/org

www.unix-my-unix.com/net/org

www.unix-is-life.com/net/org

www.unix-is-better-than-sex.com/net/org

www.got-unix.com/net/org

www.unix-the-only-OS.com/net/org

Feel free to edit these. I am sure most of them are not being used.

:smiley: :cool: :wink: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

What about we-are-not-a-commercial-entity-but-like-to-discuss-unix.com ?

Most of the domain names that you guys have proposed would fail that test. And there's more to this. I delayed posting until I reread the noun and adjective chapters in Harper's English Grammer. The terms "mouse trap", "mouse-trap", and "mousetrap" are a compound noun, a hyphenated compound noun, and a solid compound noun. I cannot find any support for calling a noun an adjective in usage like that. I am not convinced that it's possible to use "UNIX" as an adjective. There is a adjective form of mouse, "mousey". Need we say "UNIXy"? What is my response if I am asked under oath if we used "UNIX" as a noun?

And the current proceedings are about domain names. Can we be sure that content is safe? Can we be sued for participating in this thread? Can Neo be sued for allowing this content on his web site? I'm getting uneasy about discussing you-know-what in public. I think that we would need more than just a new domain name to continue. We would also need some answers to these issues.

Perderabo,

Of course, these were some what sarcastic webnames... hehehe...

If that is the case then UNIXForum.com/net/org or UnixTalk.com/net/org should pass the test.

If unixreview.com and unixusers.com, unixtopics.com and unixforum.com aren't the same usage and equally allowable under the portion you quoted, then I don't know who can dilineate the differnce. Or what, if any, use of the work UNIX in any website can be safe from this ruling.

These sure sound like examples of unix as the adj. modifing the noun. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.

:smiley:

I am just a tad bit confused. In the original quote it references unixreview.com. Isn't "review" a verb and not a noun?

Granted, my grammar analysis is a little out of date and most of my grammar syntax corrections as of late have come from g++. :slight_smile:

Could "unixlikeforum" be valid with the adjective being "unixlike"? [This probably breaks some rule of grammer, I bet]
Or how about "unixforum" with forum veing the noun and unix being the adjective to describe the forum or would that be a noun-noun combination? It seems to work for "unixreview" where review could possibly be viewed as a noun or a verb.

Ok... Now I remember why I never thought about being a lawyer! :smiley:

I have recently had an English writing class and I can tell you that in the context of www.unixreview.com, the word "review" to 99% of us is a verb. We see that as a rehash, conversation, or review(verb) of the unix topic.

However, The word review is seen first as an event not an action as we are used to. They appear to be using it as an event as a "Music review", in the vaudeville frame of reference, is an event or "Military review" is an event. Also, as in an Book review by a critic.

According to www.merriamwebster.com, the word review is listed first as a noun. They reference the word as "judicial review" where judicial is the adj and review is a noun as an event.

Although I dont agree with this "view", pun intended, it does appear to meet the requirements, much to www.unixreview.com's relief I am sure.

Sorry for the english lesson, but I thought it was pertinent to the issue.

So any of the suggestions that we have made, could meet the requirements.

www.unixtalk.com
www.unixOS.com
www.unix(insertanynounhere).com

So there may be only one eventual course of action for Neo, and that would be to rename this site. Eventhough we think that he has a right to the name. It may be a moot point if the big boys win this thing.

Perish the thought!!

:cool:

FYI, you can always find the URL for this site at the URL:

However, based on the WIPO regulations, I hope we will win the domain dispute and X/Open will not be successful in reverse-hijacking this domain. This is a noncommerical site and was registered in good faith in 1993. If we loose, I will consider an appeal and spend another small fortune in legal fees :slight_smile:

No matter what happens, this is the most professional, commerical free, classy UNIX site in the world. I appreciate very much all the class and outstanding support. (that I know of!) Regardless of what happens, let's keep it classy and professional. Thanks!

FYI:

http://www.unix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

I just want to ask a stupid question. In reading

"ADMINISTRATIVE PANEL DECISION X/Open Company Limited v. unix.net Case No. D2002-0296" it says;

Does this mean that the x-open group own "UNIX Marks" as a trade mark?

I am a bit counfused, it almost reads like they own the word "UNIX";

surly this would be like me trademarking the word "Cola" (not a bad Idea!)