Unix which can easily boot from a DVD

Hi,

Really sorry if this is in the wrong place etc but I really need some big time newbie help :o

I am a recent Maths graduate and have been invited to a 4 day job interview/assessment where I will be taught and tested on the following:
"Fedora UNIX, Bash Scripting".

Having no experience in a Unix environment and only a little in any other programming language (Java), but I am hoping I can find myself a type of Unix which I could easily boot from a DVD and begin practising some of this code.

If any of you guys could point me in the right direction I would be very thankful.

Thank you in advance.

-Rich

(Oh and I did have a shot at downloading and installing Solaris, but I think I would need to partition my HDD and I'm not really up for that).

1. fedora = linux (!UNIX)
  2. download ANY live distribution to do some scripting... the syntax depends on the shell (bash, sh, ksh, csh, ...), not the linux distribution
  3. if you need a live UNIX, go for opensolaris (which boots fine from cd)

edit:
forget one thing, you can also use virtualbox (or vmware) to install a "virtual" UNIX/linux on your system!

I think Ubuntu will work as well.

isn't ubuntu a linux distribution? which was already mentioned as ANY distribution in my last post...

Must have miss understood you.

Cheers for all the help, I went for Ubuntu and have got it all up and running on a live CD.

Now where do I need to go now to start practising some code?
Is it something similar to a command prompt? Or is it different in Unix?

---------- Post updated at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:22 AM ----------

ah I'm guessing it's terminal?

yes it's terminal. Ubuntu uses bash as the default shell.
you may require root privileges to execute certain commands, in those cases add 'sudo' before those commands.

Thank you : )

You don't with OpenSolaris which is a live distributions that can be run out of a CD (or DVD) without altering the existing disk partitions.