UNIX vs WINDOWS HOSTING

Hello there!

Will anybody please narrate what is the reason that Windows Server based hosting is more currency hungry than Unix or Linux Server based hosting?

Is it because of the proprietary costs of Windows plus costly hardware needed to run it or something else is the culprit.

I will be very grateful for any response.

Enjoy open source life without strings!

JAM

Ouch, these are the kind of words I am not using every day. Some of us are not english (don't know if the one that are do understand this). Can you please refraze ?

Regs David

I think that
narrate = explain
"currency hungry" = costly

so

please explain why windows server hosting is more costly than unix or linux server hosting.

and by "hosting", I think that he means that has a website that he wants to put on the internet. He wants to use someone else's system. That other person will keep the sytem running, perform backups, etc. And that other person sells this service.

He is finding that is is cheaper if the other person runs unix or linux. He wants to know why unix hosting is cheaper than windows hosting.

Does this help?

Thanks Perderabo.

Maybe I should request a forum English explanations :slight_smile:

I don't think I can give an answer to this post that would be of any relevance.

Regs David

for one, licensing fees, perpetual upgrading that at times requires you to buy the next version.

you can buy linux distros, but most of them have online checking programs that look for updates, patches, etc.. and they do not charge for this.

it is also possible to simply update to the newest version of your distro online as well, just download via ftp the corresponding update packages or if its a source distro, install and you have an up-to-date system.

Just walk into any software shop nearby and look at how much a M$ licence costs already tells the answer.

Thanks to all who replied. I think my post was not too difficult to understand. Mr Perderabo has picked my point fully.

I just wanted to know that when we see Web Site Hosting Plans in various computer or internet magazines, the ones for Windows based hosting are about 50 to 60 percent costly than the Unix or Linux based web site hosting. Is this because of the price differences between open source and proprietary softwares or their are some Other Reasons.

By the way, thanks to all.

JAM

Well not only that but windows machines require frequent rebooting compared to unix based machines. Windows requires higher maintainence as well.

A properly configured unix machine will sit there happily for months without maintainence.

a term you might come across regarding unix machines is "configure and forget it",
meaning once you get it running doing what you want it to do, you dont have to worry about much else.