Unix vi editor

Dear All,

Is there a way to handle special french, spanish character is vi editor (Sun Solaris 8). Foll. is a label in notepad (windows),
Cliquez ici pour revenir �_ la recherche de l'hôtel

this label is stored in a text file, when i tranfer this file to unix using ftp (tried both ansi & bin mode),
the label gets converted to

Cliquez ici pour revenir \205 la recherche de l'h\223tel

I use this label to insert into my table. As a result of the special characters my insert clause fails. Is there any settings i need to do so that i can handle these characters.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lloyd

Works fine on my Solaris 8 machine. Perhaps your font doesn't support those characters so they are not being displayed properly? The file itself should have no problem containing those characters.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, I use a telnet session to connect to solaris, how do we set the fonts to handle this. There are only 2 fonts in the properties. How can we add new fonts. Appreciate your reply.

Regards,

lloyd

maybe somethign like export TERM=VT350 could makes it possible that the way that the system knows how to send non default text to your telnet session.

Never tried it for that myself mostly used it for wrong layout of screens in telnet.

Hi Jurrien,

I tried to set TERM=VT350 but when i run the tool to load the data into database, i get an error "This terminal is not supported by the system". My DB is Informix.

Regards,

lloyd

Lloyd,

Have you tried iconv? You can convert character sets prior to ftping them.

Also, I use vim in a graphical terminal. I can change the keyboard on the fly to change from English, French and German keyboards. (I'm not sure this would work from a console terminal with vi.)

-hope this helps

Hi,
Had two idees here,

• You could try putty witch is a telnet/terminal/schel program free to all. It supports al different types of terminal connections
  • You could also try to connect to your system trough an X-windows program like exceed.
    In both cases you will be able to set the window front.
    you can download putty:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.htm