Unix text doc with a .gif image

I would like to insert a .gif image into a text file that is generated by a Unix-based database application.

Can anyone please tell me how I can achieve this?

...what *kind* of textfile? do you want it to actually show up as an image ( in a rich text/wysiwyg type file) or be embedded (in the markup, in the case of stenography, or as 'visible' ASCII data/garbage)?

The file is an invoice on which we need to place a logo that will show the organisation's accreditation. So yes, it would be rich text. At the moment the invoices don't nat have any logos so there's no problem printing it.

In that case, we'd need to know what program you're using to generate the invoice so we can better undertsnad the features at your disposal. If the documentation for your software does not include a section on formatting and altering the layout of printed invoices or does not use a template file that is loadable by some sort of office software, you are likely SOL.

We are using Ingres ReportWriter to generate the invoice. Only simple formatting features are available with ReportWriter. So incorporating .gif images is virtually impossible by using only Ingres. We need to be able to use someother means by which we can achieve this.

What format does ReportWriter save its files/templates as? If you can find an editor/etc that supports it, you may well be in luck.

ReportWriter outputs are normal text files. However, we do have some escape sequences for Bold face and for font size changes. I can send you a copy if you want to have a look at such a file.

We can edit the file using most editors including vi.