Unix Raw file system

Hi,
Can you please tell me on how to create a raw file system in Unix.
If any documentation is there reagrding the same , please send me the link.
Raw means filesystems which are not mounted.
It is commonly used for Oracle data files.
I would like to know more about its creation.

The question is vague, what do you mean by "raw" ?

http://www.oracle-training.cc/oracle\_tips\_raw_devices.htm

Is it possible to use(create files and dirs) a logical volume on which filesystem is not created and which is not mounted?

AFAIK no. Raw devices can only be used for files, which are controlled by the Oracle software: datafiles.
"Standard" files and directories must be stored on a normal filesystem.

what you mean by raw file system?are u meant for creating a new file system in a logical volume?

Actually, it is wrong to call it a raw 'filesystem'. The moment a filesystem is created on a device, it ceases to be raw. A raw device is basically a character/block disk device on which no filesystem has been created.

The process and commands involved in creating a raw device will differ for each OS. On Solaris, for instance, you just have to create a new slice on a disk and then label the disk. In HP-UX, you have to create a new volume in LVM.

Hello preethi,

this is my understanding on your question:
you need a device on which a filesystem should be created but the device should not be a mounted device.

to achieve this, you should be creating a partition using LVM or FDisk , CFDisk etc tools and format the partition using the mkfs tool with what ever file system you require.
leave this partition without mounting!!

note: creating a partition may demand for a reboot of the system in OLD versions of Linux/Unix.

-ilan