Unix on Windows

Hi All
I have window 7 ultimate installed on my machine.
i want to install unix just like an application
when i click on the application i should work on unix and when i close that application normal window 7 appears

Example-: like in case of windows suppose we have installed the sql server2005 a short cut icon come on desktop when we click it opens and when our work is finished we close that

Cygwin

is it contain entire feature of unix

if you want entire feature of unix, then download any linux distrubtion and install along with windows.

see what actually what i want to do is to connect sql server and unix. linux along with windows can;t to this task..right ithink so

UNIX is not an application. It is an operating system, in the same way that Windows is an operating system. Actually "UNIX" refers to any number of operating systems that share characteristics and attributes.

You seem VERY confused about what you are asking about and what you want to do.

What you can do, however is to virtualize a Linux or UNIX operating system on the same hardware as the windows install.

Ultimately, what are you trying to do?

Hi,
To do this you need to install a UNIX/Linux like environment on your system. Cygwin is one such program. I have used this it works, but it is best for interaction with other UNIX/Linux computers.

Ubuntu had a version that installed on windows as a app before. I used it was ok. I would go to DistroWatch.com and look for a distro that does this.

You could try Virtualbox, which runs anther OS as a virtual machine. It's free.

I hope this helps you

1 Like

No need to install Cygwin, UWIN or anything like that. Windows 7 Ultimate comes with a full POSIX subsystem called Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA). You just need to turn it on in the Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Windows Options.

Microsoft just released a new SUA SDK last month.

See SUA Community for more information.

3 Likes

Hey fpmurphy,
That is interesting. I know that Windows has for a long time had UNIX tools you could install on Windows, is this the next step? Does this give you a UNIX shell and if so can it be used to display UNIX applications remotely. Ex: ssh -X

Hi fpmurphy
thanks for your support.i have turned on the feature and installed the updates from Microsoft website. Now can you please tell me how to work with this or you can say from where i can start writing shell script