unix newbie

Hi everyone! Thanks for taking the time.
I've installed redhat and ubunto on vmware virtually.
I want to try unix and I tried to look in the internet but wasn't able to accomplish my desire task.
Any links for install, download links and information will be honestly appreciated. I will be running it in vmware.
Thanks again and have another wonderful day!
Michael

There in no any UNIX OS now. Only unix clones. Redhat and Ubuntu are linix OS-es and so unix clones. They are both good choices for learning unix (but I believe you need only one distributive for the start and I advice ubuntu 10.04.3 as the most latest stable desktop distro - IMO, of course).

1 Like

thanks! i really appreciate for that info. have a great day! ^^

Linux isn't a "true" UNIX, but mostly for intellectual property reasons. OpenSolaris, FreeBSD, etc are some free OSes that might be considered more "true" UNIXes.

i see. thanks for the info!

What exactly difference between Linux and Unix ( I think Linux is a Unix like OS) , correct me If I am wrong.

Linux and most software it runs is under the GNU general public license. It's not UNIX because it's written from scratch, not derived from ancient UNIX source. It's also not UNIX by declaration: GNU's short for "GNU's not UNIX". The goal of GNU was to build a UNIX-like system which was free, not encumbered by the patents and copyrights and incredible license fees a "real" UNIX, derived from the original source, commanded back then. (It's easy to forget how important they were in doing so, too -- the GNU c compiler may not be the best in the world but is certainly among the freest in the world.) GNU actually had its own kernel under development even, HURD, but Linux came out of nowhere and quickly eclipsed it.

For many practical purposes though, it's quite close enough to UNIX.

1 Like