unix installation

Hi all,

I am having windows in my machine.I am beginner in unix.I dont know head and tail of unix.Can anyone tell what software I have to install in my machine.I want to run unix commands for practice.What ihave to do can anyone help me.what i ahve to install.Pls help me.

Thanks,
ravi

I recommend you try Cygwin (Cygwin Information and Installation) which allows you to run Linux commands under Windows.

Also you can set up a virtual PC using something like VMware Server and run a Linux or Solaris x86 virtual machine under Windows, or just download one of the pre-prepared VMware player images.

This is much safer than reinstalling something instead of Windows, until you are familiar with the new OS.

You can Download FreeBSD Unix using FreeBSD advanced operating systemfor x86 compatible (including Pentium and Athlon), amd64 compatible (including Opteron, Athlon 64, and EM64T), Alpha/AXP, IA-64, PC-98 and UltraSPARC architectures. FreeBSD is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX developed at the University of California, Berkeley.
-----------------------------
Jennysmith

Influencer