unix host actively refused the connection attempt

Dear all,

I am faced with an error "UX ER087-0" failling to connect to the server.
Any ideas of what might be causing the error?

Many thanks

You'll need to provide more details than that. What software? What command are you running?

Hello and thank you very much for your reply,

We have an

IBM AIX
Model:RS6000

Just trying to install a software audit tool from our software supplier.
Their audit software is unable to connect to the server from XP PC, eventhough root user is being used to login.

which protocol is the software using to connect to the system

rlogin/rsh,ssh,telnet,ftp,..?

We have tried SSH and Telenet neither is working

are you able to open a telnet/ssh session manually from windows cmd or putty?

yes correct we login using telnet, however the software is actively being denied access.
Do you know what the Error code means? do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply

Please!

Most of us are AIX admins. Having telepathic abilities is usually not part of the job description.

You have a problem and you want us to help you solve it. What do *you* know about your system? Has even this vast amount of knowledge helped you? Obviously not, because you are asking us. How are we supposed to solve it on even less information, hm? Think about it.

Lets start over: we know already the error code, which is a symptom of the problem - ok. Lets talk about basics, which are still missing:

a) Your System:

1. Model number, significant hardware additions, if applicable
  2. OS version, patchlevel ("instfix -i|grep AIX_ML"), etc.
  3. Name and release of the application you are trying to install
  4. relevant configuration facts regarding this application
  5. environment the system is supposed to operate in (networks, ...)

b) Project History:
1) What did you want to achieve
2) What have you done so far to achieve it and how/why did it fail

Here is an example of that, i have included the questionnaires numbers for reference:

I suggest reading How To Ask Questions The Smart Way as well as our local FAQ- both contain hints on how to better prepare questions for posting here.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

That error code does not look like an AIX error code.

Agreed, this error code comes from ANY application running either on the PC (most likely) or the AIX box.

My best guess without knowing anything is - if you believe your installation was successful on the AIX box, than start the application (and maybe refresh initd) and re-try the connection. For me the error message looks pretty similar to what you get when a listener is not running or an entry in tnsnames.ora is incorrect - does your application have any kind of configuration file on the AIX box where you might need to configure servers that are allowed to access your application? If it's some audit tool, it is probably not desired that everyone can.

Kind regards
zxmaus

Thanks guys for all the comments. The audit software is indeed installed on a PC and told to log in to the server. I've included a screen print of the error.
The issue is that the audit software is not able to connect to the software to be audited on the server. and beign passively refused connection.

the error message normally means, that port 22 (standard ssh) is not open on the aix system
try to start sshd

startsrc -s sshd

you said you normally log in via telnet, whats the error message when configuring the audit software to use telnet? (plz more then the error code you give us above)

No error using the telnet. the problem only occur when the audit software tries to connect to the server via the PC. I explained to MR Bakunin that my lack of information is only due to the fear of being caught devulgin company information. I appreciate this would limit the help I get. but I was just looking for some leads I can pass on to the IT department or settings I might be able to change to see if it works.

I am very grateful for all the input received.

Regards

Captain

do you log in with root, when starting an interactive telnet session? perhaps root login is not allowed

and have you started sshd? and check /etc/ssh/sshd_config
the the listen port is set to 22

We have tried other normal users first, without a joy we tried root as this is a super account.
We tried installing the audit software on an other PC again with the same probleme.
Tried with SSh and without, same error.

Ok, time to start some serious debugging:

Where could the error be?
a) your PC - we are simply not qualified to help you there, please refer to the PC part of the forum

b) the server you try to contact

b1) ssh communication is somehow not possible:

Try to log in to the host in question with ssh. Install some ssh (putty for example) on a pc and use it to connect to the server. If you get to a login prompt asking for user name and password everything is ok.

b2) communication is not possible because of wrong user credentials

I saw on your picture you can change the port and the means of communication. Uncheck ssh and change the port to 20 (which is telnet - you said you can reach the host via telnet) and try again. Does the error go away this way?

b3) root user is not allowed to log in

It is a common security measure to disallow the root user to log in from outside. (users have to log in with their personal account and then switch to root.) I see from your picture that you use the root user. Try to log in using putty (or any other securified terminal emulator) as root user with the same password you used in the screen. If you can log in this way you have proven that this is not the problem.

Ok, so far my ideas. I hope they help.

bakunin

As bakunin says but please forgive my colleagues mistake.

Uncheck ssh and change the port to 23 (which is telnet - 20 is for FTP)

D.

oops, you are right, dukessd - my bad, sorry. One shouldn't write posts before having had enough coffee to fire up the debugging engine.

bakunin