Unix file temporarily unavailable

Morning,

I logged on to my webserver today and checked /var/adm/messages. I just happen to run across this message:

Sep 3 13:15:21 web1 nfs: [ID 456612 kern.notice] file temporarily unavailable on the ser
ver, retrying...

Is there a problem with nfs? Are the files locked?

It may mean the remote server has issues and NFS thinks it just lost the connection to the remote box. What OS?

Post df -k,
Are you able to connect to your NFS server manually?

Solaris 10 8/07

Description:
An NFS version 4 server can delegate the management of a file to a client. This message indicates that the server is recalling a delegation for another client that conflicts with a request from your client.

Solution:
The recall must occur before the server can process your client's request. For more information about delegation, refer to Delegation in NFS Version 4 (System Administration Guide: Network Services) - Sun Microsystems

This problem is quite normal with NFS version 4, try to set for NFS version 3, it really works. Please don't ask me how to set NFS version to 3 in Release 10, do a google.

Thanks.. Manas

Edit /etc/default/nfs and look for the "NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX" line remove the "'#" from the start of the line and change the "=4" to "=3", then run:
# svcadm restart svc:/network/nfs/client:default

Or add "-o vers=3" to the mount parameters (in automount table or /etc/vfstab) and remake the mount.

Tony, at the first place how did you know that he's running Solaris 10? :rolleyes:

Perhaps because he wrote it in post #4 ?

Oh yes, I overlooked that. Thanks.