UNIX emulators

I now that there are emulators like WINE and NetTerm, and even Hummingbird is a good on as well, but are there any emulators for Windows to emulate UNIX???:confused: I am looking to brush up on my UNIX skills, but I cannot afford to by a small UNIX workstation right now. Anyone got any suggestions...besides download Linux? I know it's similar but I would like to emulate HP-UX if I can or Solaris.

Thanks,
MIRV

well, here is a good one:
cygwin (search google)

it is not so much an emulator, but actually a posix unix layer between the win32 kernel. but many software that runs on linux is available to run on cygwin.

i never tried to find a free emulation....but...
i am using vmware_4.0.0..... it creats a whole virutell computer for you and you could use each x86 based OS..... but it costs about 200 EURO (think its nearly the same in DOLLAR)

greetings Pre�y

wtf bro, there are like 5 *nixes out there that are free
Red Hat
Fedora
Slackware
Solaris ( i believe, haven't got to use it yet)

but the point is, you could just simply dual boot with linux and xp it works perfect, i've never had a problem.

I'm guessing the OP wants to use both at the same time. Hence, either buying a separate computer for unix or finding a unix emulator to run on windows. When you create a dual boot, you can only use one or the other at a time...

Solaris x86 isnt free, its about $20 last time I checked.

Hi,

Yes... first, download Solaris ( a real Unix(tm) S.O. ) from, here http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/get.html\#x86 and then follow this link http://www.jan.exss.de/vmware/solaris/en_index.html , it will tell you how to install Solaris on VMWare ( it's not certified by VMware, but you can always try )...

Good luck !

Well, look at that...so Solaris is free. That was nice of Sun.

We seem to have two good threads on this subject. If I merge the threads, they would comingle and we would lose the continuity. So in each thread I will post a cross link to the other.

UNIX for Windows?