Unix directory permissions for Samba

Hi,

I've installed Samba on an AIX machine and configured smb.conf to have a bunch of shares available to Windows. I can see the shares, but I couldn't access them.

After about 30 minutes of chmod'ding if finally got access by doing the following to the directories I shared:

chmod -R g+rwx directory

Now, this presents a slight dilemma - everything is executable (well for the group anyway) which I don't think is really a good thing to have, but since I can't figure out any other solution, I'm kind of stuck at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone out there had the same problem and found a workaround?

Here is a link to a samba search I did on this site. Maybe it will help you.

The search tool is great! Try it you'll like it!!
:smiley:

One of any administrator's headaches with Samba is that Windows ACLs and Unix permissions do not match up very well.
Not to mention that Win2k and NT aren't even very compatible - I don't know how Win2k ACLs will look on a Unix system...

With directories, rwx is OK for the user (equals full control in windows). Groups may want r-x, so they can't write.
Then of course, the file permissions count a lot...

If all else fails, try chmod 777 everything in the share, then go back and change them with the windows ACL setup... It might look funky, but I've had good luck with it before..