Unix character set problem

Hi All,

We are getting file into our unix box with multibyte characters. When we tried to view the file the record looks like this

Frédéric

Actually the data sent to us is

Fr�d�ric

--> my locale charmap of unix is set to UTF8 only ... but still i am getting this problem.

I created the same record in windows desktop and ftp ed the file to unix server. File looks fine when ftp ed.

We thought error might be during writing the file to unix from other source. Then source sender send the data along with ascii characters of that file.

so the file looks like this...

Frédéric

70 114 233 100 233 114 105 99 <-- ascii values for above record

Ascii values are coming correctly but data looks different...

Help me out on this...

It may probably be a terminal font rendering issue, or your terminal may be started in another locale. Even though you switched the locale in the shell, text may still not be rendered properly at the terminal emulator level. This is common with X-based terminals.

So which kind of terminal are you using, and are you sure a Unicode font with the needed characters is used for rendering the terminal text?

Thanks for the reply.

We are using putty. With this interface we tried to change the character set ..we didnt get proper data ....

Is there any other interface like if we use other interface it is possible to view the data properly...please suggest...

With Putty, you need to make sure you are selecting the proper encoding. Also check the font used. Both may be configured as preferences for specific sites.

Thanks once again....

Its working fine when i change the settings in putty configuration.

But if we have to change them manually. Is there any command in unix which automatically change the settings of putty to UTF8 and font changes.

Please suggest.

Hi,

We are receiving the file in unix with korean and china characters along with french characters. when we are using UTF-8 mode only french characters are loaded properly when loaded into oracle database.

Which character set should I use to capture korean characters .... Normally I heard UTf-8 will hold all the types... but here I am not able to ....Please help me on this....

UTF-8 will represent those Korean, Chinese, French characters. Basically just any character in existence in the world. However, your fonts may not have the glyphs for the subset of characters you probably need.

There is practically no font in existence that covers each and every character in the Unicode character set. As a Chinese, I have some fonts on my system that is able to display Chinese. For Korean text, however, you may need to find some fonts that contain Hangul glyphs. On my Vista system, there are fonts like GulimChe that appear to support Hangul.

Check Windows update and see if you are able to download some MS language packs (including fonts) for these areas.