Unable to transfer files from Windows 2000 Server to Sun Solaris..

Dear Friends,

I need to transfer few files from a Windows 2000 server to Sun Solaris system, connected in the same network. This copy should be done as a batch job without asking for password to be entered every time. How to make this possible ???

At present I am using cygwin in my laptop to copy the files but with password everytime I transfer the files. The command I am using is:
scp //IP-address-of-windows-2000/SharedFolder-with-my-laptop/ user@Sun-Solaris-Computer:/path
The command works very fine and aksing for password and then files are transferred.

But my question is how to run the same command from Sun-Solaris as a script at specified intervals and also without asking for password of Windows-2000 PC every time. Currently there is no SSHD, FTP server etc.installed in Windows-2000 server. So it is possible without the installation of any of them??

I want a complete procedure for this to make this passwordless transfer possible between Solaris -to- windows with the script running preferably on Solaris Computer.

Thanks..

Win2k ships w FTP services onboard, but it's very often disabled for security reasons.

You can look into re-enabling the service and set up the job on the Solaris side, but you could also set the job up using authenticated key-based security in scp. I'm not sure if you can batch a scheduled task in windows to run an scp session under cygwin (I use UWin, which integrates with cmd), but I wouldn't be surprised.

---------- Post updated at 07:45 ---------- Previous update was at 07:45 ----------

Win2k ships w FTP services onboard, but it's very often disabled for security reasons.

You can look into re-enabling the service and set up the job on the Solaris side, but you could also set the job up using authenticated key-based security in scp. I'm not sure if you can batch a scheduled task in windows to run an scp session under cygwin (I use UWin, which integrates with cmd), but I wouldn't be surprised.

See my post on how to write a Windows Batch script which transfers files with M$ ftp in a Batch file. As mentioned in earlier posts the M$ ftp software must be installed and working. The main issues with M$ ftp are to do with listening but in this case we are initiating which is less of an issue.

http://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/73434-ftp-how-avoid-username-password-2.html

This tackles the automated file transfer from W2K to Solaris. Obviously you cannot transfer Solaris to W2K using ftp unless the W2K ftp server software is installed and working.

Only caveat with methyl's approach is the password is stored in plain-text on the windows machine. If scp is already present and functional and you're going to write a batch file anyway, why not keep it in play? It offers the capacity for automation without cause for security concerns, while eliminating the need to resurrect FTP services that were disabled...for good reason.

Thanks everyone for the replies..
I got a solution to my problem by using the pscp command.
pscp -pw "Password of username" file_to_upload username@remote_IP.
I kept this script in the windows scheduler..

Regards
Sidda..