Unable to mount USB Pen drive on my Server

Hello Gurus!!

Very recently i tried to mount a USB pen drive onto my solaris 10 (X4170 model) server. As i understand, in ideal scenarios it should get mounted automatically, but it did not happen. Neither anything is shown in "iostat -En" output or "rmformat -l" about the pen drive.

I also tried stopping and starting volfs. devfadm but no luck. "cfgadm -al" shows usb-device, usb-hub connected and configured ok.

Not sure what to do next...Can anyone help me out.

Thank you..

touch /reconfigure 
shutdown -y -g0 -i6

then log in back to your Solaris box and look if your USB pen drive is recognised.

echo | format

i've found that waiting a long time (about 5 minutes) sometimes help to automount a usb drive. i think it's a timeout problem with one of the drivers...

thank you for the replies.

@solaris_user: reconfiguration reboot is definitely an utlimate solution however, we need to achieve this online. Server is live and cannot be rebooted.

@DukeNuke2: this is something even i was guessing when i found

this in dmesg but was not sure how to verify what is it connected to port 5. Also the pen drive was left connected to the server for abt an hour.

Thank you.

can you try another usb drive? i found that some drives work, while other won't...

the same pen drive was accessible on an X4275 model server (automatically mounted). Anyways let me try with a different device and will post the result.

You can plug the usb device in and then have a look at the system logs (dmesg) to see what the OS has to say about it.

@DukeNuke2 : no success with another pen drive as well.

@jlliagre : when the pen drive is plugged into the system, there is absolutely no update in dmesg (or var/adm/messages)

Looks like a hardware problem, although your initial comment about "cfgadm -al" output contradict that ...

What FS is on that PEN ?

FAT32