Unable to login with any user

Hi

Please I need help on trying to login on a

solaris 10

, blade server.

login as: root
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Password:

I even try a normal user, I do not get the prompt.
I suspect the reason could be that

/var

is at 98% because I have configure email alerts to warn me on space.

Can you give me a hint on this?

Can you boot from CD into single user and mount the filesystems under there to perform some housekeeping?

From memory it's something like this from the hardware/OK prompt on the console:-

OK> boot cdrom -s

... then when the boot completes:-

mount /dev/c0t3d0s0 /mnt
grep var /mnt/etc/vfstab

This should give you the devices that /var is built from so you can then:-

mount /dev/c0t3d0s3 /mnt/var
df -k

.... and work on the issue. It could be that /var is full and therefore would be able to write messages to say that someone is logging on.

Does this help?

Robin

the problem now is getting to

OK>

prompt, because, if I use the console to login, I do not get the prompt, because the console is constantly having lines of

/var/adm/messages

file.
The only option I get is perhaps power off the server, the problem with this is autoboot is possibly configured, so it will not give me the option to stop at any point, I beleive...

Tell us what hardware it is...

The classic way to stop your server and go to the OK prompt is to hold down the STOP button and press a Beware that this will interrupt all current processing, i.e. all services will hang and any connected sessions may time out.

Of course, there may not be a STOP button on your keyboard......

Robin

its

SPARC T3-1B

---------- Post updated at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:16 PM ----------

SPARC T3-1B

its a blade, running on chassis, the other blades are fine

---------- Post updated at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:16 PM ----------

Will I get the OK> prompt if I do the following, logged in from the console:

set /HOST/bootmode script="setenv auto-boot? false"
reset /SYS
start /HOST/console

...then if I get the prompt:

OK> boot -s

At what prompt do you expect to be able to issue these commands? Are they from the blade management or something? I regret that I do not recognise them.

How would you expect to boot to single user from CD for any other reason?

You should boot from CD media too, else it is your OS you are starting and it will still be wanting to write to /var.

Robin

If you think that the system will respond to commands on the console then:

# init 0

should take the system down in an orderly manner and give you an 'OK' prompt.

Did you modify /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow immediately before this problem started?

---------- Post updated at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:20 PM ----------

If it's a non-Sun keyboard with no STOP key, CTRL+BREAK should do it.

1 Like

As there is no local keyboard on the blade (you can do it via breakout cable), commands like stop+a or ctrl+break won't work. Typically you will login via the CMM and then connect to the blades ILOM. If the splitter cable with USB connector is available, you can for sure try a Sun or other USB keyboard.

I would recomment the approach via ILOM web-gui and try a clean shutdown. If that is not working, you should try set /HOST/send_break_action=break from the ILOM cli (equivalent to a Stop-A).

1 Like

it is from the ILOM port of the server