Unable to get full FS space after mounting

Hi,
I am unable to get the full FS space, as /home is 100% utilized and after deleting unwanted files, its still 100%. After checking the du -sk * | sort -n output and converting it to MBs, the total sizes comes out to be 351 MBs only however the lvol is of 3GB. I don't know where is all the space gone. Please find the lvdisplay output of lvol8.

--- Logical volumes ---
LV Name                     /dev/vg00/lvol8
VG Name                     /dev/vg00
LV Permission               read/write
LV Status                   available/syncd
Mirror copies               1
Consistency Recovery        MWC
Schedule                    parallel
LV Size (Mbytes)            3072
Current LE                  96
Allocated PE                192
Stripes                     0
Stripe Size (Kbytes)        0
Bad block                   on
Allocation                  strict
IO Timeout (Seconds)        default
# bdf -i /home
Filesystem          kbytes    used   avail %used  iused  ifree %iuse Mounted on
/dev/vg00/lvol8    3145728 3145728       0  100%   4555    341   93% /home

Please suggest how should I reclaim all the unused space.

This is a common problem where the space is used by files that have been marked as deleted, but are still open by a process.

I'm guessing that you are using HP-UX, although it would be nice to know for sure.

The output from uname -a would be useful to know.

Basically, you may need to terminate the process holding all the space and then magically, your filesystem will free up the space held open by the process. Of course, finding the process may be difficult. The HPUX version that I have of fuser doesn't have the option for deleted files like AIX has, and I'm struggling with finding the same function in lsof

You could at least use:

/usr/sbin/fuser -c /home

and then work through the processes, terminating those that are not necessary and checking the space used after each one. This might give you a clue what has gobbled it all up too.

We had a server a while back that wrote a log file in /tmp that would grow slowly, however someone in their wisdom set up a daily cron job to empty /tmp and therefore we couldn't see the file growing - and of course, all the useful logging was unreadable too.

At worst, a reboot is likely to sort you out short-term, but the problem may well come back. It depends if you have a window to do so too.

I hope that this helps,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

So you may have remove a file that was still opened� Try to unmount the FS�
if you can't , use fuser -cku