Unable to get a Xterm or X app to appear under a Linux Gnome Desktop

I want to have a xterm or xapplication from a Solaris client to appear on my RHEL Server running GNOME desktop. It may sound easy at first but, I have done the basics and I be stuck.

Have Tried:
Linux - logged in as root, open a Terminal and did a echo $DISPLAY and it reports back :0.0
I run xhost + to permit remote hosts to display to it.
I am on workspace 0. I have tried workspace 1 as well, same results.

On my Solaris host, I opened a Putty Terminal vi ssh to the host. Login as root (for this test).
I run export DISPLAY=<Linux_ip>:0.0
I echod $DISPLAY and see DISPLAY=<Linux_ip:0.0>. Then I run, simple test /usr/bin/xterm. I get back cannot open DISPLAY.

Did you use ssh with -X option (or any option relating to DISPLAY exporting, depending on your platform & ssh version) ?
Did you enable all corresponding X11 forwarding stuff ?

1 Like

Is your linux machine accessible from the solaris host? Is there any sort of firewall inbetween or on the linux host itself?

Just to check you don't mean there's literally < > symbols in it, right? It should just be Linux_ip:0.0

Corona688, I get use to add the dang <> like documentation, but yes I only used Linux_ip:0.0 (10.25.34.23:0.0)

Yes they are on the same network segment/subnet, with no firewall between them. I have selinux turned off on the Linux host, and have iptables and iptablesv6 disabled as well.

Not sure about the other post, as to why and where I would use ssh -X at and where to set the X11 forwarding stuff as well.
I can get xeyes, xlogo, xclock to appear on a PC running a xserver (xming, xceed, WRQ reflections,etc) from the same Solaris Host.

Ah, x.org usually has TCP disabled globally these days. To allow it to the extent that xhost will do anything, you need to run X with the -listen tcp option.

1 Like

wasn't sure how to run X with the -listen option on the Linux host, so I tried from the Linux terminal
Linux:root># ssh -X -l oracle 10.25.25.25 and ran the X app needed and it appeared on my Linux DT.
hmmm...interesting.

Interesting that you can forward from a local domain socket to a remote TCP one, didn't expect that to work :slight_smile: