Unable to change memory

Hello All,

So it goes like this...
I logged in to the HMC console , trying to change the memory of LPAR from 20 to 25 GB . It says that "your profile is configured to use maximum of only 20 GB" and not able to increase the memory.

I created a new profile and filled "maximum memory " field with 25 GB.chose the new profile as the default profile and try to increase the memory to 25, it still doesn't do that .
Can anyone help.Thanks

You did not have to create a new profile. Changing the original one would have been sufficient.
What you were doing was a DLPAR operation, in other words an online reallocation of resources. This is limited either by the profile's setting or the Managed Systems resources. You hit the profile's as you can see.

Profile changes only go into effect after a deactivation/halt and activation of the LPAR. Don't do a reboot like shutdown -Fr as this is not sufficient.

Thanks for the information zaxxon.Can you help me with the commands please as i am new to aix.Thanks

---------- Post updated at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:03 AM ----------

Is this the command that u were talking about? can you confirm?

TO DEACTIVATE/SHUTDOWN A LPAR :

# chsysstate -r lpar -m Server-9110-51A-SN066331D -o shutdown �immed  -n server1

TO ACTIVATE/START A LPAR :

# chsysstate -r lpar -m Server-9110-51A-SN066331D -o on -n server1  -f Profile_ name 

Also will that reboot the LPAR ?

Can anyone help please?Thanks

You can change the profile via the HMC web interface. Select the managed system, select the LPAR from the upcoming list (click the checkbox), use the upcoming ">>" symbol right to the LPAR name and select "profile". There you can change the profile - it won't have any immediate effect.

After that, log into the LPAR as root and execute

# shutdown -Fh now

To shut down the system complete. Wait until the display on the HMC really shows the system to be off. Then power it on using the new profile, again by selecting ">>", then "Operations" and select the profile you changed from the upcoming dialogue.

I hope this helps.

bakunin