Ultra 10

I have Sun Ultra 5/10 UltraSPARC-IIi 440 Mhz ) OpenBoot 3.19 with 1024 MB and IDE disk
I have the following error shown in the attached photos and video kindly advise

Wow. That is hard to read. It looks to me like the system disk is corrupted.
I would try a restore of the disk.

I ran format > analyze on the disk no defect found.
any further idea
It says corrupt label - bad geometry
please see the attached video for more details

Was this a working disk on this system?

Or are you trying to add this disk to the system?

Was the disk definitely Solaris labelled before?

Or could the disk have been labelled on a Windows system?

Hi hicksd8,
Below are my answers to your questions
1-Not sure
2-No I.m not trying to add a new disk to this system it came to me on the state that apperd on the attached video,and I.m asked to reinstall sunos 2.5 on it.
3-Not sure
4-Not sure

Okay, that doesn't give me enough information to pinpoint the issue. However, I understand we are trying to build the system from scratch.

At this time I can only write some specific points that may help........

1. Check the firmware version the Ultra10 has. The drive in the box may be larger than this firmware can understand. What size is this disk?

2. Solaris 2.5 is extremely old and only supports 2GB filesystems. This doesn't mean that you can't use a drive larger than this (you can put multiple filesystems on the drive) but it would be difficult to use, say, a 100GB drive; that's 50 filesystems!!!!!

3. See this discussion regarding this issue. It may tell you something.
    Sun: Solaris - install 2nd hd ( non-Sun ) on Ultra 10

4. Don't forget that the format command has an "expert" mode which you can utilize by using the -e switch on the command line.

format -e

I'm not that used to ATA drives on Solaris but I know that the expert tools for SCSI drives are invaluable. So see if that gives you more tools.

Hope that helps. Post back any progress, or lack of.

1 Like