ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi,
Would any one be so kind to explain me :
are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ?
Specialy what is the impact of :
max locked memory
and
virtual memory

on performance of applications for a user.

Many thanks.

PS :
this is what I can see in MAN :

ulimit [-SHacdflmnpstuv [limit]]
              Provides control over the resources available to the shell and to processes started by it, on systems that allow such control.  The -H and -S options  spec-
              ify  that  the  hard  or soft limit is set for the given resource.  A hard limit cannot be increased once it is set; a soft limit may be increased up to the
              value of the hard limit.  If neither -H nor -S is specified, both the soft and hard limits are set.  The value of limit can be a number in the  unit  speci-
              fied  for  the resource or one of the special values hard, soft, or unlimited, which stand for the current hard limit, the current soft limit, and no limit,
              respectively.  If limit is omitted, the current value of the soft limit of the resource is printed, unless the -H option  is  given.   When  more  than  one
              resource is specified, the limit name and unit are printed before the value.

Only if specified - else they all get the default settings. Usually on AIX root has special limits by default. As I already said in your other thread, have a look into /etc/security/limits or use ulimit -a as the user of interesst on your server under which the applications run.

When opening up a shell or when a process is being started as some user by cron etc..

Since you said in the other thread you are using AIX, maybe you lookup that at
pSeries and AIX Information Center

Here for the limits:
pSeries and AIX Information Center

And since in your case this is a bit more pointing to AIX, maybe post it in the AIX subforum, ty.

Thank you.

Hi,
Would any one be so kind to explain me :
are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ?
Specialy what is the impact of :
max locked memory
and
virtual memory

on performance of applications for a user.

Many thanks.

The ulimits are defined for every user in /etc/security/limits - have a look there, the file structure is pretty obvious.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I merged the two threads, thanks for alerting me, Zaxxon.

big123456, "post this in the AIX forum" is not an invitation to crosspost or double post, but just the suggestion to put a question where it thematically belongs. In fact posting the same in more than one forum is forbidden by the rules. You are here since 2005 and should know that by now.

Thanks for your consideration.

bakunin