Ufsrestore on Solaris 9

Good Morning,

I'm running through a Solaris 9 ufsrestore process on a Sunblade 2500 that folks here helped me write a year ago. Here: Ufsrestore on SunBlade 2500 Post: 303011447

Hicksd8 tells me to # rm restoresymtable . I see this file in the other slices as well. Do I remove it from all of them or just the root?

Thanks!

The restoresymtable is a temporary file for ufsrestore, and can be safely removed.
(Actually ufsrestore only needs it if the dump file is on tape and spans over more than one tape.)
By default ufsrestore puts it at the top of the to-be-restored filesystem.

2 Likes

Thanks.. Does that mean I should remove it? Or can I just leave it on the root as well as the other slices?

Your decision.
Usually I removed them, in order to occupy less space on the file system (and on the backup medium).
Also saved me from "what's this?" questions :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks.. I've proceeded further along but have finally hit a snag.

I was unable to install boot blocks using this:

# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/cwtxdys0 (uname = SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500)

I get syntax error: '(` unexpected

So, I skipped the step because my notes said I may have to install boot blocks, not definitely have to. I'm reusing an old drive and thought its probably already there.

But at this point, when I try to boot to the root volume in single user mode # boot -sw I get

Boot device: /pci@1d, 700000/scsi@4/disk@0,0  File and args: sw
The file just loaded dos not appear to be executable

Is this a boot block issue?

--- Post updated at 09:39 AM ---

I'm suspicious of uname and the device. (and the number for that matter)

Should it be something more like:

installboot /usr/platform/`SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3

or:

installboot /usr/platform/`SUNW -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3

0 is my root slice and 3 is my usr so I'm not sure which would be right

Yes, this is a boot block issue.

# man installboot
     installboot bootblk raw-disk-device

So it is actually

# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/cwtxdys0

/dev -> device
rdsk -> raw disk
You can look at the raw disk device and the bootblock file on the install medium

# ls -l /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/cwtxdys0

and even check their file type

# file /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/cwtxdys0

The installboot command copies the file to a certain area on the disk (that is not visible in the file system).

Between the backticks there is a sub command

# uname -i

The shell runs it and replaces the backticks portion with the result, like this:

# ls -l /usr/platform/SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/cwtxdys0
1 Like

Thanks.. Yes I was reading the man after I replied and realized 'uname -i' was correct and 0 is the right slice. (Should have thought to check that sooner- sorry)
To be clear, I'm supposed to replace x,y, and z with numbers- correct?

Yes, correct.

1 Like

.. I went ahead and did it. It worked and I'm proceeding...