UFS filesystem mounted on 2 hosts question

I have two Unix (Solaris) hosts that are both attached to our SAN. They are both presented with the same luns.

What I want to do is have the same UFS filesystem mounted on both hosts at the same time. What I am trying to accomplish is creating a zone that will reside on both hosts but only ever be active on one host.

Also, the luns contain user home directories, but since the zone will only be active on one of the hosts we shouldn't have any need for file locking between the hosts.

I was wondering if it would be safe to have both UFS filesystems mounted at the same time on both hosts, only one host would be writing. The other host would be used as a hot spare.

I do understand that I could write a little shell script that could mount/unmount the partitions and then bring the zone up/down, but I was wondering if this particular scenario was possible.

Thanks for your time,

Before to give it a try, make sure you have a good backup...

work with a metaset... the luns go to the metaset and the metaset can be multihosted. you can export the metaset on one host and import it on the other. the set is visible on both mashines but only one has full access!

go to docs.sun.com and read in solaris docs about metasets...

also i've moved the thread to the "solaris" forum.