UFS benifits

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the benifits of having UFS filesystem

Regards,
Raja

http://www.isu.edu/departments/comcom/unix/workshop/fstour.html

UFS1 is the native BSD filesystem. correct me if i am wrong, but i would think the filesystem choice dosnt make much of a difference, it really only matters depending on if you are doing something different with the disk. older DOS filesystems, like DOS6 only can have 8 characters for a filename. and then you have ext2 which was the default linux filesystem, names can be as long as you want, and generally keeps your data pretty well on large drives. now the general trend is to use reiserFS, reiserFS is probably the fastest filesystem for linux and is not prone to corrupting data when something goes wrong.

anyway, unless you have some type of specific reason for wanting to use a certain filesystem, use whatever most people use for your system. if your OS is linux, your best bet would be reiserfs, if you are using freebsd, UFS is mostly used. though i think os's like netbsd are using reiserfs or ext3 now.

im no expert on this so anyone who has more knowledge than me on the subject please correct any mistakes i may have made.

The original unix filesystem, designed by Ken Thomson, did not support symbolic links. Filenames were limited to 14 characters.

And it did not control fragmentation. We had to periodically defragment our filesystems by copying them to tape and reloading back on a fresh filesystem. And on our 3B2, I had to unload a 25 MB disk to diskettes to defrag. This was not my favorite job.

It really was designed in an era of tiny (by today's standards) disks and it didn't scale up to larger disks (larger = about 100 MB or so). It was comparable to FAT-16 or something except that FAT-16 has an in-place defragmenter.

The BSD filesystem, designed by Kirk Mckusick, addressed all of those issues and it was a big step forward. It really took over very quickly.

Also it seemed to be more robust. It seems like we lost fewer filesystems with the BSD design...and not just because of the backup superblocks.

So, yes, I noticed a few differences. :slight_smile:

can I have UFS filesystem on linux. although I think it simulates UFS filesystem when squid is configured for squid cache directories. do let me know if i am wrong. as i am little bit confused about this.

how to verify which verson of UFS i am using on my system. is there any command to check this.

Thanks in advance

Thanks guys this thread can be closed