Ubuntu Server

Hi,

My problem is that I need to set up a DNS server and a mail server. I just know that IP address of the server we have rented.

Can you tell me if I can set up mail server and a DNS server with just the IP address?

Tushar

Tempted to say "buy a copy of System Administration in a nutshell" in fact not a bad idea if you will have to maintain this box

When you say you have the IP address, what form of access have you? (ie. do you have ssh access or serial access, were you given a username and password ?)

Follow this for setting up bind as your nameserver

Have you decided what mailserver you wish to use? (if you have no particular preference I find exim just works most of the time) apt-get install exim4 exim4-doc-html the package configuration options in the exim bundle should walk you through the setup,

Yes i do have the username and password and the access type is SSH.

Then ssh to the box, install and configure bind as shown in the link above and then install and configure exim

If you hit any specific problems raise them here.

Sorry for being such a pain but what do I use in place of example.com? I have done the whole thing but I'm confused about example.com. Is it compulsory to use some domain for this place? and for mail, I'm using postfix but I'll take your advice and use exim4.

Eh, I assume you want to run a DNS in order to control your own domain records?

If you want to Maintain you own DNS Try WEBmin which will be easy to setup DNS Records:)