Ubuntu Server 810 Telnet ** I know its Bad.. But **

I have a real need to telnet into my new Ubuntu 8.10 server and have Googled my eyes out with ideas that don't work. I CAN telnet out of the server, but I CANNOT telnet into it (connection refused error). I have updated my resolv.conf file but its expert time. ANY IDEAS??? THANKS!!! I knew I was going to have issues - haven't even gotten to adapting my Bourne Shell script issues yet - and can't get TELNET to work... GRRRRRR

I know SSH is the way to go but this is a box that is remotely used and don't have ssh. THANKS!

Is telnet running on your server?

I hate to even say this, but I don't know - how can I check? I thought by being able to telnet out that would mean its running so it was some kind of file in /etc that I needed to update. I put my windows workstation ip in the allowed.hosts file and that still hasn't helped (using Reflections to telnet into the Server).. THANKS NEO!! Your the best for your time. Dale

For most OS, you can

netstat -an | grep :25

Can you run that command and post the output (using code tags of course)?

Note:  Some computers that will not work (like my Mac OSX), as the notation is   
    111.222.333.444.port instead of 111.222.333.444:port

If does not work, simple post the output of:

netstat -an 

the netstat -an command works

returns:

tcp    0   0.0.0.0:25    0.0.0.00:*  LISTEN

So now I am confused. I normally telnet without a port and whatever port its using (I think 23 isn't working, but when I telnet to port 25 I get the following:

mpt1a01:182# telnet x.x.x.x 25
Trying x.x.x.x.... Connected to x.x.x.x.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mpt1a02.us.sample.net ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)

but it doesn't give me a prompt and then will timeout. MMmmmm.
Can I make it so my default port of 23 is used and works and how do I get a login to log into the server. THANKS!!!

Sorry, my fault.... I was busy and forgot that telnet is port 23, not 25 (which is normally SMTP mail), so you just connected, via telnet, to your mail server.

Try the same command to port 23, sorry about my error... I am doing too many things in parallel to fast.

No problem, I grateful for your time.

I do the same command netstat -an |grep :23 and get nothing so I guess that's my answer its not running. Boo. Any ideas on starting it up or do I need a package? Dale

First you need to see if telnetd exists on your server. You can do something like:

find / -name telnetd

If it does not exist, you will need to install it.

Okay, it came back empty so I have some more work to do. Unless you know where and how to get it I'll continue searching for it, but its good to know I don't have it and that's my problem. Thanks Nero!

To install, try:

sudo apt-get install telnetd

Then, restart inetd service using the following command

sudo /etc/init.d/inetd restart

Good idea, but the package is no longer out there. I found a command to search the packages that are out there:

telnet apt-cache search telnet

and I get back the following:

tcpd Wietse Venemas TCP Wrapper Utilities
Python-Twisted-bin Event Based framework
telnet - the telnet client (don't I need server?)
libss10.9.8 SSL Shared Libraries
Python-Twisted-Core Event based framework
Libwrap0 Wietses Venema's TCP Wrappers

I at one point found something about un-remarking comments so another library would be able to be searced and used, but I don't have the syntax for that - I think it was Universe?

Thanks Nero!

Google works well for these types of issues:

ubuntu telnetd installation

U need to open port tenty-three on your firewall.

If it is used remotely, why not install ssh on the box? You realize you can simply:

apt-get install ssh

Then, configure the sshd-config and be done with it

SSH does not need inetd/xinetd where telnet would. As such, telnet is VERY insecure, ESPECIALLY for remote management, as it would send your info through various routers in an unencrypted format.

I would seriously consider recommending some training or reading materials before you get your machine owned.