Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am simulating the command output (since I can't do it live) by capturing the output to a file and then reading the file. My problem is I haven't figured out how to use getline to read the file multiple times. Here is what I'm attempting:

while ( EndofRout > 0 ) {
NR = 1
while ( (getline < "/tmp/output.orig") > 0 ) {
OutSyncTrack[NR] = $7
NR++
} # end of while getline to build OutSyncTrack array
#
#
for ( x = 1; x <= NR; ++x ) {
EndofRout = 0
print "EndofRout is " EndofRout
if ( OutSyncTrack[x] != 0 )
EndofRout = 1
continue
}
}

The field $7 starts off as a high number then gradually goes to zero. I can simulate this by editing the file, but my problem is that it is only reading the file once even though $7 is not zero. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I really don't have the foggiest idea of what you're trying to do, but taking a shot in the dark, this will read a file:

$ cat filex
one
two
fore
line 5
$ awk 'BEGIN { while(getline < "filex") { print $0 } }' < /dev/null
one
two
fore
line 5
$

The thing is, you normally connect the file to awk's stdin and let awk loop through the lines automatically. I suspect that whatever you want to do would be more easily coded in ksh or something.