Trying to boot from USB (ibm 8284-22A)

hello Im trying to boot up my s822 machine from SMS menu, and somehow the usb boot drive is not getting detected, only the DVD r/w device is getting detected.
The issue was happening after I tried to remove the Front USB 3.0 cables and when i tried to pull it out the connector broked.
so i tried to connect a different cable for usb 3.0 and since that cable was not from IBM so it was not detecting it as bootable usb thumbdrive
so can anyone help me how to fix this issue? should i re-buy the 3.0 cable from IBM or try a different method? any kind of help would be thankful for me since i have been on this issue already for like 5+ days
Iv tried all kind of os like AIX, SUSE, Ubuntu, CentOS, FreeBSD non of them detected the bootable usb unless iv booted from the DVD player

What method are you using to put the bootable USB image onto the USB stick?

You should be able to test the bootable USB stick out on another machine without doing any damage (if you don't let it enter the install routine proper). Then you will know that the USB stick is working and bootable before you try it on the IBM machine.

@hotdogman420 , If none of them detected the USB, are you sure its in working order ? , can you burn and try another ...

1 Like

I will try it again trmw
The dvd gets detected but not the usbs
I will check the order of the boot process
From the firmware command prompt it looked like it was detected

Oh forgot to do that
My bad

did everything and somehow still only CD/DVD is listed as bootable
so im trying to use a bootmanager like plop boot manager, but it seems to not work
can someone help me out with a bootimanager iso file so i can select the boot device from the SMS menu?

You didn't answer my question about how you are writing the image to the USB stick.

I would use something like Rufus.

Rufus iv tried dosent work so far
But was able to boot from cd-r , dvd-r, and a dvd-rw media

At this point my server is being real funky i got no idea how to fix this
Iv tried Plop boot manager and looks like it doesnt support ppc64/ppc64le
Also was looking at yaboot but idk yow to use it. I have only worked on java based backend projects never touched c/c++ deeply
My questions may look a little bit dumb and pretty slow in reaction time.
So thanks for the help. :slight_smile: :heart:

When you use Rufus (or any similar USB stick bootable creator) make sure that you select the format of the input file that you are providing, e.g. a CD .ISO file. Also correctly select whether the target machine is BIOS or UEFI boot.

Rufus will then convert that format into a USB stick bootable format and do all the work for you.

Then you can test that the USB stick is indeed bootable by trying on a number of machines.

If after that the machine in question is still not booting from it then you should check the BIOS boot order/UEFI setting/secure boot setting, and tweak those to make it work. Otherwise, perhaps the machine is incapable of USB boot or you have a hardware fault.

2 Likes