Trouble with backup

At work I am running a solaris 10 server with a ZFS filesystem. I am unfortunately not a solaris expert by any stretch of the imagination, and the relative difficulty in doing what I consider to be a super basic operation using solaris is driving me insane.

It is my job to figure out some way (or ideally make a script) that will make a complete bootable clone of an entire hard disk from one drive to another.

Drive one is c1t0d0 (bay 0), drive two is c1t1d0 (bay 1).

I must be able to remove the 2nd drive for off site storage, and I must be able to swap the drive in bay 0 with the off site drive and boot the server up completely from the backup.

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks. I tried using raidctr -c c1t0d0 c1t1d0, now I can't boot from either drive. (including when both are inserted). The server will just stick in a looped boot sequence.

I tried using dd commands as well, which appeared to work, but I couldn't boot off the drive. Part of the problem is that I am not a solaris guru, and I am definitely missing something to make this work. dd seemed like the best candidate, as the hard disks are identical. If someone knows that this will work, I need to know EXACTLY what to do, and not approximately.

I am avoiding using snapshots because it sounds so complicated, and though I have seen that it is possible to make a clone from snapshots, it does not sound like I will really get what I am looking for out of this solution, but I am open to anything.

TLDR: How do I get two HDDs to be independently bootable and have exactly the same information on them? Why isn't there some super easy command for this in Solaris?

Are you running Solaris on SPARC or x86?

That's doing things the hard way.

Separate your data and application installs from your OS install. Then all you need to do is back up your data and applications, completely separate from your OS. Clone the data/apps any way you want, mount the cloned drive on any identical (or close enough) Solaris box, and you're done. You don't have to deal with any "!*&%!(@, this drive won't boot in the box no matter what I do".