Trigger executable on HMC on occurence of an event

Hi all,

sadly I currently don't have any access to a HMC and I am interessted if anybody knows if there is any way to trigger an executable/script in case of incomming hardware errors etc.. I don't remember there was any such option but then my last HMC was v7.x more than 2 years ago I saw.
I saw an article about to configure syslogd on a HMC to forward such events to another syslogd. In the official documentation/Redbook there was only mentioned to trigger a message via SMTP but that's not sufficient for my environment.
Our event management system is not an IBM product so I don't have options via Systems Director or Tivoli Monitoring/OMNIbus.

Any experience/hints on your side?

Systems Director is officially dead and buried - at good last. :wink:

I think you look at it from the wrong side: the HMC is an appliance and your possibilities to implement there anything useful at all are limited. (Right now it is relatively easy to become root on the HMC, given that shellshock bug, but most of the time you are in a poor position when you try to do administration work on the HMC.)

My suggestion is to write a script which queries the HMC remotely about hardware conditions. Issue "lssyscfg" and/or related commands via a ssh-connection and then parse in your script what comes back. We use this mechanism to automate things like LPAR generation and similar tasks, but you can surely automate your task this way too.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

Really? :smiley: I had the dubious honor 4 or 5 years ago to check what this thing can do and it was not much useful. I thought I overheared that it was improved a lot since then, but that it is now dead is interessting heh.

I know it is an appliance and somewhat tight/limited on what you can do there.
Because I am not up to date I thought they might have implemented something now, that you can trigger other scripts/executables easily, but ok, so far nothing seems to have changed on this.

OK, i admit: declaring the Systems Director itself "dead and buried" was a bit of wishful thinking on my part. In fact the "Systems Director Management Console", which we were threatened with for the last years and which - for the last years - was announced to replace the HMC "real soon now" is completely dead. Systems Director (so i overheard it) will probably be renamed one more time before finally being put where it belongs. Here is a link:

SDMC is dead

It actually is a piece of art in itself to create software which makes something like the HMC look good and preferable.

bakunin