Transferring files via RS232 cable

Current setup:

• Some old AIX standalone machine (F series)
  • My WinXP laptop
  • Null modem cable from laptop to AIX machine (console port).

On Hypterminal on WinXP I can connect to the AIX machine (serial connection), but when I try to transfer file, it will just sit there. I'm guessing the AIX machine needs to be running in receive mode, but what application on AIX will allow it to receive the file?

I think you need a program called zmodem But I don't know if aix has it. I have never used it at all. But my understanding is that you establish a terminal connection to the host so that you can run shell command. Then you run zmodem, telling it to receive a file, then you send a file.

You need to install:
bos.net.ate
Then you can use the xmodem -r option to receive the files.

Cheers.

The problem with xmodem is that it rounds the file size up to a 128-byte multiple. This is OK to transfer text or a tar file--tar will ignore the trailing padding. If you transfer a compressed file, it fails because the uncompress fails.

zmodem (rzsz program) still appears to be available from the author at Omen Technology INC, but you'll have to compile it to get an AIX binary. Refer also to 4.28: Zmodem - File transfer.

Another technique is to use serial line internet protocol (SLIP). AIX can do TCP/IP over a TTY port. Login (getty) should not be active on the port. Use a port other than S1 (the console port) because you don't want to mess up the console port (unless you also have a graphics adapter for a console). Configure each end with a private IP address (e.g., 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2) Then you can use ftp for file transfers. You can also have multiple telnet sessions, which is nice. X-windows even works; although it is slow to open a window, performance is OK after that. Refer to

Serial Line Internet Protocol

Refer to Svensk forskning för hållbar tillväxt| RISE for info on configuring SLIP on Windows.

One more even simpler solution might be to use SLiRP, which is available here: http://slirp.sourceforge.net/ and documented here: http://sunsite.nus.edu.sg/pub/slirp/. You still have to configure SLIP on the Windows side.

I used to use SLiRP to access the Internet when I only had a dial-up shell account on a remote UNIX host. I also used it to access a local RS/6000 from a PC when I did not have an Ethernet card in the PC.