Tracking Reminders using Scripts

Friends,

I have a script that triggers an reminder e-mail two weeks in advance which will remind the recipient to do a particular task. The problem with this script is, it sends the reminder e-mail 2 weeks before & it send the reminder e-mail only once. It by no means have a logic/functionality to check whether the end user have completed the task or not.

Any idea how can I implement the functionality of tracking the reminder?

I am not stuck only with ksh. Any script that can ease this logic will do good for me. Also, is having a GUI for such task is mandatory? I prefer to do it all in the background. Any ideas or guidance?

---------- Post updated 07-28-10 at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous update was 07-27-10 at 09:05 PM ----------

Any idea people?? So, using GUI is the only way? I mean having a GUI front end to let the user update the status of the reminder. And, having a background php script to do the job of checking the status of a task and decide whether to send the reminder for a task or not? Is this the only available solution? Are there any scripts existing already to do this job?

How can you know the end user have completed the task by shell? Any command can be used for that?

run your_detect_script , if finish, return 1, if not, return 0 to var task, something like this?

your_task_detect_script 

if [ "$task" =="1" ]; then
  echo "Thank you everyone".
elso
  echo "Working on task ABC" |mailx -S "New job coming" XXX@XXX.com
fi

Put this script in cronjob.

Yeah you are correct. I do not think we can use any script to know whether the end user has done his task. I have now decided to go with VBA+excel for automating this thing. Like when a user updates a cell with Y/N. Thanks for your reply and time :slight_smile: