Trace route to a perticular port

How can I trace a route from one server to a certain port on another server?

Try:-

man traceroute

Search for the string port and see what options you get.

What have you tried so far?

That worked. I was trying to use iptrace but was having troubles. Thanks for the timely response. I appreciate it

You are welcome. If you don't know the command to start with, it can be a bit tricky to get going. It's the sort of thing you probably won't get on most training courses either. You can get a few hints by doing something like:-

man -k trace
man -k port
man -k route

These list various pages that you can dig into, and there's usually an "Also see" section at the end. Hopefully you will hit the right thing fairly quickly.

There are also searchable pages such as this:- Help - AIX 6.1 Information Center which, although it's the IBM one is good and most commands are similar. HP has one under http://itrc.hp.com and there will be others, possibly subscription only though.

Someone on here told me about this site for translating commands from one flavour to another a while back - UNIXguide.net ( AIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, LINUX, SOLARIS & Tru64) so that may be useful too. It also lists the commands in sections which is great. I'm all for having a cheat-sheet!

Robin