to serve or be served??

I have two machines on my network - one OSX mac and one linux box. The mac is my main workhorse, and the linux box does occasional chores and webserving. Currently the mac shares (via NFS) files with the Liinux box.

Would it be less demanding on the mac if I made it a client, and moved my files over to the linux machine? Or is it better to leave things as they are?

Putting NFS on the linux box would free up resources on your MAC but you have to understand which system uses these files the most - it may be that moving them will cause problems if the linux box were down, busy serving webpages or under a DOS attack. If the MAC must have the files then you are probably better off leaving them there.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

it is the mac that uses most of my files. It has been dragging its heels recently, and I think I may be able to attribute that to its filesharing...

The website files, however, are used mostly by the Linux box, which serves them, currently, from the NFS share - though I do edit these on the Mac. Maybe I should move these files to the Linux machine and share them with the Mac.
It's all on a fairly enclosed network, btw - nothing is served up to the internet - the webserving is just for me to test sites.

edit -- I do also have a win98 PC on the network that needs occasional access to files. Currently the Linux machine re-shares the NFS share with SMB, which is probably quite messy but it works. I guess it can just use some of the webshare directory on the linux box rather that have access to all the macs files...