To link a filesystem to a directory

Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me out with one of my simple problems. I have a filesystem, /oracle/dir1/sapdataA. The client has the filesystem /oracle/dir1/sapdata1. Now I want to link these 2 directories so that if I cd to /oracle/dir1 and do an ls -l I get the following output:

cd /oracle/dir1
ls -l ---->

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 8 Oct 20 2004 sapdata1 -> sapdataA

How can I do that? Please help me out!!!.

Thanks and regards.

Sorry, I did not quite understand your problem.
You have two file systems mounted in the direcories sapdata1 and sapdataA which are in the directory /oracle/dir1, right?
Both sapdata1 and sapdataA are real directories, not links.
What do you see now when you do this:
cd /oracle/dir1
ls -l
?
Could you please email me if you answer. I am not visiting the site often.

man ln

I suspect odashe is right and you have two actual directories, not 1 directory and one link.

in case you have /oracle/dir1/sapdataA as a real directory and want to create a link named sapdata1 type:

ln -s /oracle/dir1/sapdataA /oracle/dir1/sapdata1

This would yield the desired (?) result as in: the output you stated to want to get. In case you already have a directory /.../sapdata1 this will of course fail as the directory already exists. The link creates basically a directory entry saying "this is me, over there". Similarily for files, etc.

Hope this helps
bakunin

First export "/oracle/dir1/sapdataA" as NFS on the server .
Second,import this filesystem on the client.
Third using "ln" command makes the link between "/oracle/dir1/sapdataA" and "/oracle/dir1/sapdata1" on the client