Is it possible to change the nmap port name: For eg:

21/tcp open ftp
53/tcp open domain
80/tcp open http
111/tcp open rpcbind
836/tcp open unknown
843/tcp open unknown
953/tcp open rndc

I need to change the port number 836 unknown to the name of the service that I am using. for eg: I need to change to ssh .I have tried with changing in the /etc/services files, but no luck, it does not shows up while I nmap the port.

could you please advice me where it is possible or not.

Hello,

If I am understanding you correctly, you need to edit the sshd_config file to listen on port 836. There is an option in there that allows you to use a non-standard port.

The /etc/services file I think just tells you common application to port mappings so I don't believe editing this file is going to make much difference--i think. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Yes, you are on the way. The thing is I should not see the port name as unknown instead of that I should get the service name. Is it possible to do that?

hello again,

i'm not 100% sure, but maybe editing the services file to reflect the change you want would yield the result your after........

don't quote me on this however. maybe google it i'm sure you'll find the info or else someone can confirm this here [?]

hope this helps

disregard my last post.......i just RE-read your first post

maybe you would need to edit the file first, restart some service, then check again................

i would be interested to know if you find anything out though

:confused: