TNS no listener error when connecting to a new DB

Hi all

We connect to 10 Oracle Databases from our UNIX box through the regular TNS file we have on any oracle client installation.

Recently we acquired a new connection. I added the entries as usual to the TNS file. The connection fails with the below error message

ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

I cannot say the listener is not working as all the other connections are working fine.
I checked all the oracle home path and it is correct.

Is there any setting that is obstructing the connection to a single database from the UNIX perspective?

Thanks
Sri

That's a Host-side error. Are you sure that the listening port is up/running on the Oracle host in the TNS listing? Is it the same port as is defined?

Can you tnsping it as defined?

The TNS host is up an running. I can connect to the intended database from my local machine. The listener on the oracle host is definitely up and running
Also, The ports are correct in the file.

I want to make sure there is no setting that I am not aware of blocking the communication between the UNIX and the oracle host.

Thanks for the help - sri

---------- Post updated at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:41 PM ----------

so, we finally found the issue ... The linux SA had the vip address running on 2 nodes . it should have been listed on a single node

we were soo busy looking at the client side settings, that we missed the server side settings :eek:

Thanks for the response - Sri