TL upgradation for AIX machine. Need help

[LEFT]Hi Experts,

I have an AIX machine oslevel -s  5300-00-00

Now I need to upgrade its TL to a level [SIZE=2]5300-06-03-0732

[SIZE=2]Kindly let me know if we can do this directly. I [SIZE=2]guss we have to [SIZE=2]upgrade TL from 1 , 2 ,3[SIZE=2] ,4, 5 a[SIZE=2]nd 6, then I have to upgrade to 06-03-0732 .

Am i right here ?
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/LEFT]

No, you aren't. You can do it in one session, because TLX will contain any change TLX-1 contains too. It is quite rare that a certain TL-combination won't work. We have discussed this here already.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

5300-06-03-0732

AIX fixes:
IBM Support: Fix Central

Product Group > AIX
Version > 5.3
Fix type > Fix Packs

Continue

Wait a bit while it builds the download list and then scroll / page down to "66. Service pack: 5300-06-03-0732 "

clik the tick box to the left of it, then click the box next to TL6 which should pop down below, if not then click the "Show requisite fixes" and tick TL6 as well, then click the SP title to download.

make a note of the "Installation instructions" link on the way through.

I strongly recommend going to the latest level you can, idealy the very latest.

You are going for a level that was released on 08-Aug-2007 when there was / is another six years of development in AIX 5.3, so why run such an old level if you can go to a later one. It depends on what your application supports I suppose.

HTH

1 Like

Thanks a lot Dukessd and Bakunin,

Its really helpful...
Can u clarify on this please,
from 5.3 TL0 can i go for above meathod or the one mentioned in other forum saying i should go for step by step TL ie, from TL 0 to 1,2,3,4,5,6

You can do it step by sep if you want, but it is unnecessary and a lot more work than doing it in one run. Doing it step by step will gain you absolutely nothing and you will end up with the same result in both ways.

There have beeen a few issues with some combinations of MLs/TLs historically, as i explained in the thread i linked. Ignore that, your combination is so old that all of the installation quirks are long debugged.

Still, you should consider going for the latest TL (12 i believe) instead of TL6. Somebody mentioned this higher up in the thread already and he is absolutely right. It makes no sense at all to use an older TL. Notice that even the latest TL is out of software service already.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

5300-00-00 is a worry, especially as it was never released at that level.

The first official release was at SP01, so it kind of makes me wonder if you have a beta release and updating that could be a whole world of pain.

Is this a production machine?

What does the following show:
# oslevel -f
# oslevel -r
# oslevel -q
# lppchk -vm3

In theory you can just download the TL and SP you want, click something like the "include pre-requsites" box and update from anything to anything else but in your case I wonder what you have to start with and whether this will work!

HTH

5300-00-00 is simply the first CD release. First time I saw it (with AIX 7.1 they ran as TL0 for quite a while). In the case of AIX 5300-00-00-0000 that was simply the first so-called gold code before it was actually available on the market. When it became GA there was also an extra CD with the first updates to bring it to ML01
(Note: did not use the terms TL or SP at that time)

And, as Bakunin mentioned, there is no benefit in doing the TL by TL. However, if you have a specific application requirement to be at TL6 - then you may want to test that. TL stands for Technology Level and there were some major changes at TL7 time (I believe that is what was parallel with AIX 6.1 release, just as AIX TL6 is parallel to AIX 7.1 TL0). In other words, there is some effort spent to simply migrating applications from a previous version of AIX to a newer version by back-porting.

Also interesting to remember: AIX 6.1 was going to be AIX 5.4. Only a few weeks before release of POWER6 hardware did they decide to change the major version number. AIX 7.1 was needed (in any case) to provide kernel support for more than 64 processors (i.e., 256 processors and 1024 logical CPU). For the larger part AIX functionality is uniform across specific TL pairs.

Hope this helps/clarifies AIX and updates/technology levels