Timezone query

Hi Everyone,

We have Solaris server which displays the time in CET and our application is used across the globe.(Users are in singapore, poland, US).

At present in order to display Timezone we are manually manupulating time based on country in a enviromental file.

I want to know , do we have any file in solaris like /etc/profile where we can add one entry so that user accessing our application will see time as per his country. Kindly advise on this if you have any idea.

Cheers,
gehlnar

This is what I do. The TZ line in /etc/default/init might need to be adjusted to match the location, so that programs (e.g. CDR) can read and display time stamps appropriately for the location. For example, you should use the line:

TZ=Australia/Broken_Hill

if you are in Broken Hill, Australia. After the TZ line in /etc/default/init is changed, the system needs to be rebooted to propagate the change to all processes/applications.
A TZ setting like Canada/Pacific operates by referring to a file /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/Australia/Broken_Hill that contains compiled data about the history of time zone and daylight saving changes at that location. The time zone compiler can be run with the �zic�.
Example:
# cd /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/src

# ls choose desired locations (e.g. northamerica & autralia)

# /usr/sbin/zic northamerica australia
Or # zic northamerica australia

This command generates compiled time zone files for all the locations
mentioned in the text file 'northamerica' and �australia�. This is a much larger set than the set of compiled time zone files shipped by default in Solaris. If you're in an unusual location, you'll need to run �zic� to get the proper time zone file; e.g. you must run zic to get �TZ=Antarctica/South_Pole� to work.

Thanks for ur explaination , I need to have a look at this option.

Cheers,
gehlnar