The partition keeps the resources

Hello,
On a PL1650, with AIX partitions (micropartitionning).
When a partition is "Not Actived", the processor and memory resources are not free (display in the HMC) and I can't by DLPAR.
The partition keeps the resources.

An idea ?
Thanks,
Trunk.

try to Logout and Log in again in HMC

There is an option to allow resources to be used when the partition is not in use in the partition profile. According to at least one RedBook this is for dedicated partitions, but I think it applies to both (dedicated and micro-partitions).

I looked on all the HMC screens on my system, and could not find that setting. Either it got moved (away completely?) on my version of the HMC or this is just a matter of my brain failing again. I am opting for the "failed brain" excuse.

Change the LPAR's entitlements in the HMC profile and then see if the number in the HMC changes. I've seen exactly what you're talking about before and I think that is how we dealt with it. We have two LPARs semi-permanently shutdown and we reduced their memory to 0 and their CPU to 0.1.

I recently ran into this on a Power 6 system. The managed system had "Huge Pages" configured. As a result it was not possible to configure the desired memory for an LPAR with a portion of the memory that had been reserved for the huge pages.

This is probably unrelated to the original question - but when I ran into it on a system, I thought immediately of this thread because the symptoms were very similar.

The fix in this case was to shut down the system and then turn off (set to 0) the number of configured huge pages in the appropriate ASMI menu. This had to be done with the entire system off as it was not configurable while in partition standby.