The life cycle of System logfiles

Hi ,
The log files of the system are located in /var/admin/syslog , I want to know on which way the files are generated. To be more clear for example old log files are deleted automatically from the sytem ( is that configured ? if yes what is the criteria: is it file volume or file date or ..) Please help!!

The default ( I dont know about the latest releases since I have none to look at...) was the file lives its life till next reboot where it becomes an OLDlogfil.log overwriting any existent and a new log file and a new one created...

Hi ,

Thanks for your Reply. If understand well you mean all the logfiles located in /var/adm/syslog will be overwritten if any rebbot happens?? So for any old previous reboot we can not get the old log files!!

Thanks for your collaboration

The current will become OLD* and you will have a new one created...
So you always have current and a previous...
I can gues what you mean because I had to modify/create an alternative for an old 10.20 server in the countryside... when the security people once a month but randomly decided to test the electricity genertor, they would switch off the mains... and after 10 minutes once happy cut the generator and put the mains back on...
For months I was struggling to understand what was happening because in OLD I would have a reboot after crash that when just strting oracle ends...

So I you have more than ONE reboot then yes your OLD would not be very usefull...

Hi,

Thanks for your Reply. I think now I am clear.
All the log files concerning the sytem are not deleted. the number of the log files are equal to the number of Reboot :slight_smile:

Not quite ...
You will always have e.g. syslog.log:
syslog.log -> the current always a new file ater reboot
OLDsyslog.log -> the previous (always overwritten...)