Telnet solaris error

Hi all,

I want to telnet/ssh my solaris 10 which was installed in VMware and my host OS is windows 7. I have set the ip address properly in /etc/hosts, /etc/netmasks, /etc/defaultrouter. But when i try to connect it through putty ti shows network connection error.

any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Are you able to ping it?

did you check your console login ..... /etc/default/login .... then chk /dev/console ....

There's nothing wrong with Solaris. You need to check VMWare Network Connection Editor. Are you using Host-Only network, or Bridged, or NAT for the Solaris VM?

Host-Only has to be the network type if you want to connect to the VM through PuTTY or anything else from the host OS.

@fpmurphy
ping is not working . It shows Destination host unreachable :o

@coolboys
What i should check in there :confused:

@admin
intially it was NAT later i changed to bridged , but again i changed that to Host only. But still that problem exist

Please help:wall:

have #console = /dev/console....in your /etc/default/login....... if you dont have Hash symbol then you cant connect any machine ......

I edited as you said. But actually it is not pinging first:mad: i think it means there is no network connection. ifconfig -a shows everything correct. I think there is something wrong in vmware network connection. I assigned solaris ip as 192.168.1.5 vmware ip (what it shows in windows 7) 192.168.31.0 and windows 7 ip is 192.168.1.2 . Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

I dont know where i am making mistake:(

Any suggestion ?

What's the network address and subnet mask of the Host-Only network? Have you assigned an IP to the Solaris VM in the same subnet? If not, you will not be able to ping the VM from the host machine!!

As I told earlier, this is not an issue with the Solaris VM. You just need to check network settings in the VMWare Virtual Network Editor. If you are not sure how to edit those settings, enable dhcp in the Solaris VM and check the IP address assigned to it. Later you can assign static IP in that particular subnet.

IPs are meaning less without the subnet mask. Assumming that you are using the default 24 bit Class C subnet mask, your Solaris VM is clearly on a different subnet than the host machine. They both have to be on 192.168.1.0/24 subnet according to what you have posted.

It sounds really good. Actually i am unable to show the output of ifconfig -a due to some copy error. I exectuted
#ifconfig e1000g0 plumb
# ifconfig e1000g0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
to assign the ip. So i dont think i have did any mistake on assigning the IP on Solaris VM

In windows 7 ipconfig command shows the ip as 192.168.1.2 and netmask as 255.255.255.0 in additon to that it shows two vmware ips one is vmnet1 and vmnet8 .I dont have any idea about these vmnet

Really thanks for your suggestion and help to resolve the issue.I will try to edit the vmware network settings again to solve the issue.

There you go.

You need to check the IP Address assigned to Windows 7 under vmnet1 network. This is the default host-only network for your VMs. Your Solaris VM's IP should be on the same subnet as the IP address of VMnet1 adaptor on Windows 7.

Vmnet1 and Vmnet8 are the virtual adaptors that get created while installing VMWare. So even if your host's physical adaptor is on the same subnet as the Solaris VM, there's virtually no connection between them.

Can you post "ipconfig" for vmnet1 on your Windows 7 host? If you can configure the Solaris VM to be on the same subnet as vmnet1, your problem is solved.

vmnet 1

ipv6 Address - 192.168.80.1
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
Default gateway -

Vmnet 8

Ipv4 Adress : 192.168.31.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway :

What ip i should set for Solaris VM ?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:16 PM ----------

omg ! :smiley:

Thank you so much admin_xor

I changed the ip as 192.168.80.5 in solaris with Host only in vmware and problem is solved .

You are GENIUS :slight_smile:

Always happy to help!! :b: