tar problem

hi all ,
iam trying to usr tar to read inputs from a file :
i used the following command but it is giving me an error .
tar cfv - -I files.2.backup | gzip | rsh -l some_user some_host "cat - > /path/to/destdir/backup-$DT.tar.gz"
the error is " missing files ".
the point is to read the contenets of the file "files.2.backup " and do a tar for every entry in this file. then rsh to a remote host and place my "tared" files over their.
i am runing solaris 9 over SPARC
thanks you for ur help .
regards

man tar
man gzip

e.g:
tar -cf filename.tar -I filename.list
gzip filename.tar

tar cvf - . | gzip -c > filename.tgz

. if your are in the same directory where you want to tar from.....

v option is verbose to list all the files.....

Hi.. I am trying to execute the above command in my Unix server and it throws me an error like below.. Not sure..

tar -cf filename.tar -I ~/filenames

tar: Not a recognized flag: I

I also tried using

tar cf filename.tar -I ~/filenames, which didn't work either..

The method is what i was looking out for to tar the files from the list of filenames available in ~/filenames. Could anyone help me out with a solution, please. Thanks in advance

xargs tar cf filename.tar <filenames

thanks.. but when i try to open the archive from windows, it scolds me saying "Invalid archive directory".. I also tried to open after gzip'ing it by gzip filename.tar.. but the same answer from the system :frowning:

Can you read it on the machine where you created it? tar tvf filename.tar 2>&1 | less

yes, i can read it.. some of your reference

?rwxrwxrwx 5238 8001 0 Mar 29 16:11:22 2008 ./clsDataLayer.vb symbolic link to /REG/web/clsDataLayer.vb.

?rwxrwxrwx 5238 8001 0 Mar 29 16:11:22 2008 ./datepicker.htm symbolic link to /REG/web/datepicker.htm.

is this because the filenames are the symbolic links.. The filenames in my file ~/filenames are the symbolic links of the files that are actually existing in /REG/web or some other folder inside REG..

Yes, likely Windows has issues with symbolic links.