Tape drive problem - no process to read data written to a pipe

Hi Everyone,

The machine I'm working on is an AIX 5.3 LPAR running on a P650. oslevel -r shows 5300-08. I'm trying to take a backup to a SCSI tape drive, which has been working up until this point. I know of nothing that has changed recently to cause this problem. But when I try to take a backup to the tape drive now I receive this error:

The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.
/usr/bin/ksh: /tmp/323630devlistfile: 0403-005 Cannot create the specified file.

chkdev: There is no process to read data written to a pipe.

FAILURE: System backup failed to complete.

When I run lsdev | grep rmt0 I receive this output and it says the tape drive is in an available state:

rmt0       Available 1Z-08-00-0,0  SCSI 4mm Tape Drive

It is incorrect for the SCSI ID to be 0,0? Could that be the problem? I also noticed it says there is a permissions issue writing to /tmp, so I did a chmod 777 /tmp to give it full permissions but that didn't help either.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I am new to UNIX and I'm not able to find much info on this error message. Also, I cannot call IBM because our support contract has expired.

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:34 AM ----------

Hi Everyone,

It turns out this is a sysback configuration. When using Sysback (Tivoli TSM for System Backup and Recovery) I receive the error writing to tape. But using dd, tar, and mksysb I am able to write to the tape drive just fine.

If anyone has advice on how to configure a tape drive in Sysback, that would be much appreciated because I can't seem to figure it out. If not, I am going to go the mksysb route.

Thanks