System not starting completely

I have an Ultra 60, running Solaris 5.8. During boot all of a sudden it dies after Yp comes up then the netmasks are set and then I don't see anything any more. How do I tell whats causing it to hang at this point. I can login to it but can't tell what preocess is hung. /var/adm/messages has no new entries in it. Autofs also has not started.

try doing a boot -v from the ok prompt. You should get more information.

If is hanging at the binding step yp is not working right. boot single user then move the /etc/defaultdomain to defaultdomain.orig and boot and see if the system comes up.

Joe

The server is an NIS server and all YP services come up , -v did not help it only told me that all the hardware came up ok...

Frank

What's not working?
Joe

you can do a boot -va

the "a" stands for ask you will have to respond with a yes at each question you can tell exactly what is not starting.

we use a lot of U60s, they have been a good machine over the years. We are running Solaris 10 on them all now.

some times when a system hangs it is waiting for an NFS mount to happen.

Is this machine the nis master or a slave? if it is a slave you can bind it to itself so it does nto have to see the master to come up.

you can start the autofs from /etc/init.d/autofs start

you also need to check you /etc/vfstab to see if it is trying to hard mount something that is not there.

Joe

I determined that there was a mount in the vfstab table that physically no longer exisisted. this just caused it to hang forever. Got past that problem.

can you tell net into the system?

If you can then check to see if dtlogin is running. ps -ef |grep dtlogin

If it is try killing it (it will restart). I have an E250 that does not give a login prompt untill i kill the dtlogin and it starts again. I have not had time to fool with it to fix it yet.

Joe

First of all thanks. I killed the offending line in the vfstab file and the system came up, almost.... I currently have an issue where the system startup is hanging due to a problem with legato networker, but i will work that throught with them.