system freezes / hangs

Hi,

We're using -
openldap-2.3.43-12.el5_6.5
nss_ldap-253-25.el5

on RHEL-5.5

Intermittently the entire system hangs, no message is present in any of the log files, login to the system fails, ssh fails, ping fails, the only way to recover is to hard-boot the system.

We consulted Red-hat for this and through kdump's vmcore analysis, they have identified that the problem lies somewhere in the authentication i.e. ldap.

Please help us to find out how we can troubleshoot this issue and move towards resolution.

Appreciate a quick response !!

Thanks and Regards,

Maybe turn off ldap auth for a moment to try if you can reproduce/verify what RedHat support said.
Else I would also check if the hardware or virtualization engine below shows any trouble in it's logs.

Hi Zaxxon,

Thanks for your prompt response. We cannot try to stop the ldap and then test as the issue is very intermittent, occurs mostly once in a week.

We're using HP G7 servers with 24GB RAM. If you're suspecting hardware or virtualization engine, please share steps to enable debugging around these or test these.

Regards,

I don't have this hardware/virtualization at hand. I would check the manuals if you don't know where you can find the error logs. Can't hurt for future troubles anyway :wink: